Thursday, March 29, 2012

RFSC Week 1: Tempeh

This week's Ready For Summer Mini Challenge was to try something we have never tried before.  I chose Tempeh.

This is my first week of the Fat Smash Diet.  I am in Phase 1: Detox which is meat-free.  It's really hard to get protein into my meals.  I have tried and hated tofu (ick...YES it DOES have a taste).  I have heard of Tempeh and thought it was worth a try in my stir fry.

The good part is that is tasted really good.  However, when I read the nutrition label, I learned it has almost as many carbs as protein.  It also has a lot calories.  It did have a lot of fiber though.  When all was said and done, I liked it and I'm glad I tried it.

Tempeh Portabella Stir Fry (2 Servings, Fat Smash Phase 1)

1/2 package of Tempeh
1 T Mrs Dash Seasoning
1 Portabella Mushroom, chopped big
1 Broccoli Crown, separated into pieces
1 T fresh Ginger, grated
4 T Stir Fry Sauce
1 T Water
2 C Cooked Brown Rice

In a wok or frying pan, cook the Tempeh and Mrs Dash seasoning.  Crumble the Tempeh as it cooks until its nice and brown.  Add the mushroom, broccoli, ginger, stir fry sauce, and water.  Turn to coat.  Cook covered 4 minutes until broccoli is crisp-tender and bright green.  Serve over brown rice.




3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Tempeh, what is it exactly?
    I would find it very difficult to go any amount of time without chicken, it is my life staple LOL.
    The stir fry looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wikipedia says its "A traditional soy product originally from Indonesia. It is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form, similar to a very firm vegetarian burger patty."

      Delete
  2. What tofu have you tried? Have you tried Quorn? I'm a vegetarian (technically a pescetarian). I eat a lot of quorn based products and beans to get my protein level up.

    ReplyDelete

Here's your chance to address that Pink Elephant in the room....